Mitsubishi ASX and Outlander diesels axed

Mitsubishi ASX and Outlander diesel axed

Mitsubishi Outlander

The 1.6-litre and 2.2-litre diesel versions of the two SUVs will be replaced by electrified models

Diesel variants of the Mitsubishi ASX and Outlander SUVs have been axed from the brand’s line-up, with no replacements planned.

Mitsubishi says sales will continue while dealer stocks remain of the two models, but once these are gone, no replacement will be introduced, with the brand choosing instead to focus on alternative powertrains such as plug-in hybrids.

Mitsubishi says both engines have reached the end of their life cycles, although the decline in diesel sales means it «makes more sense» for electrification to take priority.

The decline isn’t as sharp as many other axed diesels’ sales figures, though. Diesels made up 44% of ASX sales and 23% of Outlander sales last year. The latter’s plug-in hybrid model soaked up the remaining 77%, although Mitsubishi has just introduced a petrol-only Outlander to the range, to replace the diesel.

This move makes Mitsubishi’s smaller models – the Mirage, ASX, Eclipse Cross and Outlander – petrol-only, while the larger Shogun Sport and L200 are diesel-only, being powered by the same 2.4-litre diesel unit. The Shogun is now out of production.

Mitsubishi is the latest manufacturer to trim diesels from multiple model lines, as the industry moves away from the black pump. In 2015, almost half of all new car registrations were diesels, but this has dropped to less than a third so far in 2018.

Read more:

Mitsubishi Outlander adds petrol option

Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel review

Diesel deaths – complete list of 2018’s axed models

…read more

Source:: Autocar

About soarer